42 – Wide blucher prototype and soling experiment, 9.5EE last 5662

In preparation for making more shoes for other people, I made some modifications to my blucher pattern. Halfway through I decided I’d try to add welting, which went decently for a first attempt, and then it all went downhill. I ended up cementing soles to the welt and sanding everything down. Oh well, that’s what practice is for!

The new pattern used a much wider tongue to let the foot slip more easily into the shoe, and to allow greater adjustment with lacing. The fit is much, much better this way. I’m kind of amazed at how much room there still is to improve the fit, even after all this practice.2